16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Upland boots, Gore-Tex, and Mink-oil
JoJer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

I always used mink oil on my Sorrel pack boots. I'd scrub them clean, dry them, then heat them gently in the oven, then smear on gobs of Mink oil, especially along the seams, including the rubbber/leather seams. I'd let them cool and dry and wipe off the excess. I could wade to the tops of those boots and never get wet. I probably wore those for ten seasons, and much busier seasons they were in my younger days!
My new cold weather hunting boots are Cabela's Outfitter series 12"/ 600 gr boots made with Pittards leather. I've worn them for three seasons so far. I haven't had a leak nor a reason to treat (waterproof) them yet.
They were so comfortable I bought a pair of 10" 400gr boots of the same series and dyed them black for work.
woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:38 am  Reply with quote

Over the years I've used Mink Oil, Sno-Seal, Pittards 'ointment', Hunt-Dri,...just about everything I could find as down here things are pretty wet much of the time. I never found anything that I felt I could depend on.
Recently a friend of mine suggested that I try Obenauf's (from Russell) on my leather boots. I was impressed. While woodcock gunning I had to literally wade in water over the shoe tops of my boots and my feet stayed dry..three trips now and no re-treatment seems to be required although I will certainly apply another dressing of the stuff.

I'm now a confirmed Obenauf's supporter.
JonP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

I am convinced that Gore Tex is a fraud. Never had a pair of Gore Tex boots that didn't leak after a season or two. Two Gore Tex camo coats leaked within two seasons. I suspect if any real product study was done, there would be a class action against the company.
IDcut
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:25 pm  Reply with quote

I've been useing Obenauf's for a number of years, and won't use anything else!

I used to use mink oil and sno seal, but after a couple of pairs of White's wore out sooner than what I thought they should, I switched to Obenauf's and have been satisfied.