16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New run of Citoris....more info
saw557
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

Well not wanting to be a frog and end up alligator bait Very Happy I made afew phone calls and got more information on the new run of Citoris. Seems like it depends on who you talk to and what kind of mood they are in as to the answer you get. My first phone call to Browning the gal was very encouraging she gave the name of the distrbutor they were being made for....Bill Hicks. Wanting another opinion I called Browning again and this time there was uncertainty they were going to make another run of 16ga's. Made another callto Bill Hicks and I am not sure what to think got a bit of a run around and no firm ansewer wether or not any 16's would be made. The final answer I got from Hicks was "check with your dealer" Ha I've talked to two different dealers and they don't anything about a new run 16 ga Citori's. I feel kinda like I am chasing my tail.
Scott
saw557
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

I am guessing everyone is tired of this subject.....kinda like beating a dead horse. I just thought I would pass along my findings and was hoping someone may have a bit of encouragement to pass along. I really want a 16 ga. 525 I guess I'll hunker down like a gator and wait for a frog to come by!!!!
Very Happy Scott
sage1
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:47 pm  Reply with quote

I was at the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Convention today in Reno NV where I spoke with the Browning company representative at their booth. I asked the who, when and where questions about the new release of 16 gauge Citoris and he told me that they'll be distributed through the Bill Hicks Company. He said they were to be a special run meant only for Bill Hicks and wouldn't be in the Browning catalog or on the web site.

Hope that's helpful

Sage
budrichard
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:10 am  Reply with quote

The paucity of information is by design. Browning and Hicks want thier to be so much interest for the gun, that individuals will order for high prices to assure they obtain one. Don't do it. The law of Supply and Demand will triumph and the supply of 16 gauge Citori's will catch up with demand. There's a reason they keep making them and thier's a reason they don't give out information. -Dick
jchandler
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

The Citori 16 is going to Bill Hanus Birdguns. He has a website with info. also ads in the current Gun List listing the models and pricing. As before, this is a limited run of the 16 Citori.
His price for a Grade 1 Lightning is $1686. Yesterday at Louisville saw a used 16 Citori for $1450.

Jeff
sage1
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

Bill Hanus will be handling the Citori 16's but I don't believe they'll be an exclusive through him. A business or individual with an FFL who can purchase from Bill Hicks & Company ought to be able to order any of the Citori 16's...subject to availibility of course.
budrichard
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:59 am  Reply with quote

I've watched Bill Hanus prices and believe them to be high. I flirted with a Citori 16 Gran something but it was heavy. I could purchase from another source for much less than Hanus. In the end, the only way to get reasonable weight was an Al framed gun which I didn't want.
I watched the feeding frenzy over the last batch and concluded, that's not the way i want to do business.
Various Beretta dealers have supposedly limited runs of guns made for them and then charge increased prices. I avoid this type of gun. It is sometimes hard.
Example, I picked up a new in the box Beretta QU 28 for $1300 cash. These guns just didn't sell at the original price and my dealer had 3 he was selling for cash. This same gun from a Beretta dealer with supposedly nicer wood, would ahve cost a lot more.
My advice is to not get caught up in the feeding frenzy, look for dealers with reasonable prices or for the prices to come down when the guns don't sell. There are very few Limited Editions that really sell out, they always are available later for less.-Dick
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:55 am  Reply with quote

Bud, you is one smart 'gator. You are right on target about the lack of publicity on this new batch of 16 ga. Brownings. Prices will be quite high at first, then will plummate as the guns get distributed. Its called steering a product and it works everytime. There are a lot of skinny gators as well as well fed ones.

Few of you may remenber the S&W Model 29 .44 magnum. When it first hit the market, it was an extremely hot item. Within a year or two, the market was overloaded and prices fell out the bottom. Then came "Dirty Harry" and demand went back up. This time S&W restricted the market by not allowing too many out at one time. The new 629 stainless model was bringing 5 and 6 times its list price as the few guns got dribbled out to the distributers and dealers. However, within 3 years, all this foolishness stopped. Now, you can by one for less than 1/4 of what some folks paid for them. And this is over 30 years later. Throw in the inflation factor and the price would be about 1/15th.

Bide your time. Let the frogs do what frogs gotta do. Once all the hubbub and folderall passes, you'll get a much better price. it never fails There are only so many of us 16 ga. shooters and fanatics. Its not that big a deal. Be satisfied with the gun you own until the price gets more realistic. That's being a smart and patient gator like Bud. 16GG.
Ga16ga
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

There was Carolina Sporting Arms in Charlotte, NC claiming the previous run was made spefically for them. I think Hanus tries to imply the same thing. CSA wanted around $1800 for the same Upland Special I got through First Stop Gun in SD for $1350.

I tried to get CSA to match FSG, but they wouldn't do it. Rather than drive 2+ hours and spend $450+/- more, I just had FSG ship it to my local dealer. The new ones will be at Bass Pro and Cabela's and other sources.

Hicks is a distributor and will wholesale them to most any gun shop.
Rem16
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

I want to find someone selling a Citori 16 in the lowest grade used, so it will be a bit more affordible. I dont pull in enough NOW to get one, even the lowest grade. But man do I want one, makes for some great clay and pheasantt shootong, and I'll fit in with the guys at the gun club with one yet still be a rebel by shooting the 16 Twisted Evil The problem is that most who get a 16 like that are hardcore 16 worshipers like us and never get rid of them. Mad Well, I could always just "find" someones credit card..... just kidding Laughing

mod11rem
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:20 am  Reply with quote

I saw a Citori 16 in the current gunlist with 5 Rem chokes and 4 Brileys for, I believe $1350. I too want one of these but, while I believe the "market will never fall out of bed for them", I think that just a few more on the market will definitely moderate prices, esp for the lower grade guns. Just bide your time and wait for that fat frog to come along. I almost stole one back around Christmas for $1100. But the rich doctors and lawyers beat me to it. And they are the ones that can afford the high grades. Although I have coveted a nice Parker or Elsie for years, from a pure shooting point of view, I would really be happier with a Citori of any grade. Romance is one thing, great handling and shooting guns are another. Little frogs chirp, big ones go "harrumph". In the mean time, I'll limp along with my Mod 37 Ithaca, 870, Mod 1400 Win and of course the venerable old Mod 11 Rem, all in 16. My new grabber feeds them all.

later, Mod11rem

budrichard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:23 am  Reply with quote

Well since I remember the history and hysterics of the S&W 44 Magnum, I am dating myself. I remeber the 44 Magnum coming out in High School. A friend got a Ruger 22 Magnum and we thought that was hot stuff. Then 'Dirty Harry' came and as mentioned the frenzy was on! After college in the early 1970's you could not get a S&W 44 Magnum for list or about $250 at that time. A co-worker did order one and over a year later got it for list. I purchased my first Model 29 at a gunshow for $375 Mint used in 1975 8&3/8" Nickel and still use it for deer hunting. I kept looking for a Pre Model 29 or 44 Magnum and passed up many either because of price or condition. A couple of years ago at the CADA show in Chicago I made a deal on a Mint 1958 6&1/2" 44 Magnum blue Mint in the original Black box for $800. I spotted the gun from 20 feet away and never took my hand off the gun as we made the deal. There was a cluster of people around all waiting for a chance.
Anyway, if you can avoid the feeding frenzy, most things come down in price except Winchester 21's. Most of what's out there is manufactured scarcity, so called Limited Editions and the like.
I will wait.-Dick
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

I'd say the Model 37 is pretty good limping. I'm not partial to auto loaders for 16 ga. no offense meant. I can just do more with a hinge gun or a pump shucker as far as load variations go. Most autos will not handle 3/4 ounce poopers or 7/8 loads either. However, if all I shot were 1 and 1-1/8 ounce loads, a nice light auto shucker like a small frame 11-48 would do me very well.

I'd like to find a 37 with a rib in good mechanical shape but maybe a bit worn outside. I'd trim the barrel to 24", have colonial tubes installed, and have the barreled action parkerized or have one of the new flat black Milspec coatings applied. a quick buff down and flat varnish on the wood and bingo, a nice light rainy day gun for the days too wet for hinge guns but not wet enough to stay home.

Problem is, every 37 16 ga for sale lately seems to have a "history" or is claimed to be a supreme grade or some other BS catagory, when your eye says standard gun? Why is it most folks selling a 16 pump think we 16 ga folks are stupid? They are assuming wrong if this group is any measure of our kind.

I was just looking at a "supreme skeet grade" on an auction site. The gun has a 28" full choke barrel and no engraving. Its about an 80-85% gun at best with plain wood. Don't ask the opener bid wanted, its too depressing. The guy who used this one for skeet must have been a fabulous shot to hit skeet birds with a full choke gun regular. Perhaps not and thats why its for sale. Wink

does Franchi Make the AL48 in 16? you'd probably know this one REM. That would be a nice light gun too iffen. 16GG
nossman
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:42 pm  Reply with quote

Call me a gator! I too have decided that my next purchase will be a Citori 16ga., and to hold off on my purchase. I am happy with what I have and will wait, save my $ and look for the best deal for my money. I like the gradeI, as it will be used afield. Not to mention, I'm not a real fan of "flashy" or "pretty" guns. Sure, I'll give them a quick look and maybe even admire the craftsmanship, for a moment. Then, it's time for me to move on, to the working class models. Do the birds care what your gun looks like? Hell, if anything they may get spooked and flush a little early by the sun reflecting off that shiny metal. Not to say that someone shouldn't purchase that type of a gun. It's just not my preference.
As said earlier, it's supply & demad that sets the going rate for any product bought or sold. With Browning keeping the production numbers down, they are in fact helping to maintain a fairly steady/level price. We'll see what pans out later this year.
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:23 am  Reply with quote

I haven't been watching the prices of the Citoris as I'm not in the market for one but the Hanus guns seem a bit on the high side. In particular the one that I have, the standard Feather. I've had mine for a little over a year and I don't remember paying anywhere near the $1915 I think he is asking. Now maybe they went up. If so, so be it. I don't really know.

But I would say to anyone looking for a standard grade hunting gun, get the Feather. Great to carry, handles well and contrary to what Hanus says, they work well on the Sporting Clays courses too. I find no trouble shooting clays with mine in regards to the recoil. If that bit of recoil bothers you, get a .410 cause you're a wimp. Very Happy