16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  And another new member
Square Load
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

Hello fellow 16ga. addicts,

I have been enjoying this forum for the better part of the past year and I must say it is one of the best on the net. So I finally broke down, joined the society, the low pressure group, and became a forum member. I hope I can contribute something worthwhile occassionally.
When I discovered how much I liked the 16 ga. I decided to put together a collection of guns of each type of action which I recently completed because of a tip on these forums. I was also lucky enough to buy 5000 RP16's the first time around. Along with all I have learned from all of you this site has been very helpful indeed. I thank you all.
You are a great bunch of guys and I feel very fortunate to have found this site.

Happy Shooting!

Dennis
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard---feel free to ask questions or post comments Wink
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome, Dennis! Bet you have a lot to share as well. This is, indeed, one of the best forums on the web; looking forward to your input.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome Dennis-you're just up the road (if I-17 ain't closed) from me and Pete. When he gets back his LC, we need to meet out at Ben Avery some time. Do you do any preserve hunting up your way? I think there is one near Jerome? Talked to the Forest Service guys and it didn't sound like it was worth looking for spruce/blue grouse around Flag-what have you heard?
And what's your pet 16?
Square Load
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:00 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew,

The last time I checked I-17 was still open! Laughing Have never shot at Ben Avery, sounds like fun. But you won't get me off this hill after your temps go above 100! Flagstaff is the largest city in AZ without a place to shoot. Had a lot of fun from late 70's thru '96 at the old Flagstaff Trap and Skeet Club. Now the area is all homes. Closest shooting for me is Prescott Valley.
Haven't done any preserve shooting. Haven't heard of anything by Jerome but there is a preserve between Dugas and Prescott. Most of my bird shooting is our quail, doves and this year I made 2 trips to Kansas.
I have climbed the Peaks 3 times trying to shoot a grouse but was never successful. According to the G&F they are at 10,500-11000 ft. that time of year. I went all the way up to timberline but couldn't find any. The view from the top of AZ is incredible and worth the climb. I have seen them in the early summer though at about 10,000 ft.. Have shot several on the Kaibab and in SW Colo.
Have not decided on my favorite 16 yet. Am leaning toward my new Citori.

Dennis
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

You a Kansas boy or is that just the closest long one day drive to bird heaven? (well-it's not really QUITE that good Very Happy ) And what kind of bird dog do you run?
Square Load
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew,

You're right on about the shortest one day drive. But no on the Kansas boy part, I moved here from Wis.

It wasn't quite heaven this year but it was close, which is why I made the second trip. Hope next year is as good. I spend my bird hunting days following a German Shorthair.

Dennis
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

Impressed with your inventory Square Load.
Seems like most of the guys hunting KS have GSPs anymore-some of the sweetest dogs I've ever hunted with were GSP females. Would guess Brittany would be the #2 pointing breed (?) but lots of guys now use labs/pointing labs and that's about all you see up in S. Dakota.