16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 gauge Citori Lightning
spr310
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:21 am  Reply with quote

Just want to report. No FTF's in four outing's with the Citori since replacing the lower firing pin and springs. Brought home eight birds yesterday.
sweet16A5
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

Have one of those guns and they are real sweet handeling guns, glad you got yours sorted out. Nice feeling to have the gune go bang when you pull the trigger. Very Happy
tbjohn
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

I probably had about 5 FTF's this fall. All Remington game loads. I might just try and replace the spring and pin. All the lower barrel. Sometimes I could put the shell into the top barrel and fire it but not always. Go figure. Another White Lightning. Besides that I love the gun. Handles great.
GF1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

And don't think this is limited to the Browning Citori; have had same thing w/ the Belgian Superposeds. Replace the springs.
tbjohn
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

You think that is the real fix?
gsilber
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

I replaced the hammer springs in my White Lightning prior to this hunting season and have had no further FTF's. It was always the lower barrel and this fall I always shot the lower barrel first. The new springs were much stouter than the original ones.

tbjohn
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Did you get the replacement springs from Browning or somewhere like Brownells?
gsilber
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:42 am  Reply with quote

I got the link from another thread on the forum.

http://www.jnpgunsprings.com

Search for "Browning Citori 12 and 16 gauge Spring Kit" $20 and change

gsilber
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:49 am  Reply with quote

Here is the Shotgunworld url that shows you how to replace the springs:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=89866

L Kenney
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:48 am  Reply with quote

I bought a spring kit from jnpgunsprings.com and sent it with my 16 ga Lightning Feather to a local gunsmith who told me that my FTF problem wasn't the springs, and that in any case the spring kit wouldn't fit my gun. His take was that the lower firing pin was too long (!), was piercing primers, with the result that the pin channel was getting crud in it, hanging things up. He had the gun for almost a month, shortened and recontoured the pin, charged me for his work, and of course the problem was even worse, with FTFs every other shot. I emailed Jnpgunsprings about the spring fit issue, and James Flynn, one of the owners (who also operates as JP Gunsmithing in Santa Ynez CA) was quick to address my problem. Turns out that some, or perhaps all, 16 ga alloy frame Lightning Feathers use 20 ga springs, not the 12 ga. version listed on the net that work in the steel framed versions. That wasn't mentioned on the internet and I hadn't mentioned it when I ordered the pin kit. From a couple of phone calls, I figured I was dealing with someone reputable and sent the gun to him for the fix. Gun went to him on a Tues, got there on Thurs and was fixed and returned to me the same day with new springs and a replaced lower firing pin. Not a problem since.
struff55
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:10 pm  Reply with quote

Not to bash the Gunsmith that came up with the theory of the firing pin being to long but that is one of the most ridiculous assessment of firing pin failure I have ever herd.
16 ga gun dog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

Not to highjack, but, you did say Citori.... I don't have a precise scale. Can one of you tell me the weight of a 16 ga Citori Lightning? I'm thinking 6 lbs 6 ozs. Sound about right?

fyd16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:35 am  Reply with quote

I just put my 16 ga. Citori lightening with 28" barrels and steel receiver on the scale and it weighs 6 lbs. 12 oz. Hope that helps.

Scott

16 ga gun dog
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:40 am  Reply with quote

Thank you good sir.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:43 am  Reply with quote

L Kenney wrote:
I bought a spring kit from jnpgunsprings.com.... I emailed Jnpgunsprings about the spring fit issue, and James Flynn, one of the owners (who also operates as JP Gunsmithing in Santa Ynez CA) was quick to address my problem. Turns out that some, or perhaps all, 16 ga alloy frame Lightning Feathers use 20 ga springs, not the 12 ga. version listed on the net that work in the steel framed versions...

Thanks very much for your information regarding alloy frames and the 20 ga. springs. It clears up several questions why the problem is happening to this specific model and not nearly as frequently to steel frame models. My collection of steel framed guns runs from a 1987 gun through a 2004 model--none of which have ever failed to fire the literally many thousands of rounds put through them.

I've known for some time that the latest production runs of Remington GL ammo have unusually hard primer cups compared to our standard domestic primers. Folks with other make and gauge guns have had some FTF issues with the GL loads. So the problem is not limited to Citori models. These newest GL rounds require unworn strikers and strong springs. Older worn pins and weakened springs won't fire the ammo reliably.

It's a new world for Americans. This problem of foreign produced goods and services not fitting our customary domestic expectations or requirements is one of the prices we are paying for becoming an integrated part of the world community. American domestic ammo used to fire 100% in both new guns and in the many thousands of old, worn, neglected guns our society accumulated during our long self-reliant, free, gun toting history. Those days are over. Nothing new comes without certain costs. This is a small though inconvenient cost. There are others that are not so small or so readily apparent.

I've also known that alloy O/U frames have certain limitations steel frames do not have. The lighter strength striker springs are there for a reason. I just hope stronger striker springs do not cause additional problems in the future. I'd keep a close eye on this matter if I owned an alloy framed O/U. I don't and never will.