16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  MEC Sizemaster Conversion
MTDDFAN
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

I've got a MEC 12 ga Sizemaster and I'm thinking about converting it to 16 ga. Does anyone have experience, pro or con, with this type of conversion? Or would I be better off to buy a used MEC 600 JR? Anyone got a 16 ga loader for sale?

Thanks
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

It is a simple conversion, might take 30 minutes or so. Comes with good instructions. The conversion kit can be bought on-line at the MEC website.

Maggs
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

Hey, MTDDFAN,

I'm new to the forum, but have been tweaking MECs for years.

I just converted a 12 gauge MEC sizemaster to a 16. It was easy to do and I'm loading out some nice 16 shells now.

I was watching on eBay for a used Sizemaster or Grabber for a long time... I really wanted the collet resizer so I had my heart set on either of these two loaders.

One never came up, but the 16 gauge dies came up, and I knew of a 12 gauge sizemaster that was a good deal. So, I bought the 12 gauge press and the 16 die set and am loading away.

Just today, on eBay, a Sizemaster went up for the 16. Oh well, too late for me, but maybe it would work for you.

I hope this helps.

Maggs
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

The conversion is not a hassle-you will spend around 45 minutes for change over and fine tuning--The dies are more than a used 600-if you find one--but you would give up the collet sizer--Not sure how much you shoot but I would load the all the mt's in the gauge you shoot the least first then change over and leave set up for the other.Have you posted for a used loader on this forum ?
popplecop
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:46 am  Reply with quote

I bought the Sizemaster set up for 28 and the dies for the 16, cheaper than buying 2 Sizemasters and I have the time to change back and forth.
Peacore
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

My press was a .410 Size Master and I bought the dies for 16 ga. and also the short kit for 2 1/2" shells. All of it works fine.

Ernie

Wingshooter50
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:49 pm  Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if a MEC 650N can be set up or modified to load 2-1/2" shells? I've just bought a L.C. Smith after years of lusting after one. I reload for my 28, 20, & 12 with the 600 Jr but I've not reloaded the short shells.
Jimbo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:17 am  Reply with quote

I've been interested in converting my Sizemaster from 20 ga. to 16 ga. I seem to recall checking a few months back, and the kits were less than $100. I just checked the MEC website, and a conversion to 16 ga. is now $169! That's right, I said $169.

I'm thinking the kit contains a lot of parts I don't need. Why would I need a different decapper? The straight walled 16 ga. hulls I shoot open up fully at the neck when fired, so there is no need for a larger diameter decapper to flare the necks.

Why would I need a different re-prime punch for 16 ga? I set the decapped hulls over the primer, because the hulls won't always stay put on the reprime punch.

I believe the kits also contain a new drop tube, and rammer. I doubt powder charges for 16 ga. 1 oz. loads are much bigger than those for 20 ga. 3" hulls. So why would I need a bigger drop tube? And wouldn't a 20 ga. rammer push the 16 ga. wad down just as well?

I know I'll need a different shell holder, collet, wad guide, spindex, and crimp assembly to go to 16 ga. I think by buying individual parts, I can do that for about $83 buying directly from MEC.

I shoot skeet and clays, and hunt. 16 ga. shells are hard to find locally, so I think this is something I want to do. But I am also on a very tight budget. Anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this as cheaply as possible?
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:24 am  Reply with quote

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/458343/mec-sizemaster-die-set-16-gauge Midway's price is $109.

I have always found a manufacturer's price higher than one of their retailers. However, one phone call to MEC customer service will determine the minimum parts required for the changeover. They really know their stuff.

Maggs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:05 am  Reply with quote

Hey Jimbo,

I think that Gamaliel might have a better deal on die sets... take a look here:

http://www.gamaliel.com/mecdies/mec-die-setsizemaster.asp

When I've called MEC to order .410 dies and other parts, sometimes they have sent me to Gamaliel.

As for the difference between the 20 and 16 deprime and reprime punches... A friend of mine uses lot's 20 gauge parts to "convert" his 600 jr to a 16 gauge.

maybe if you could get the Collet, shell holder, and the crimping dies (600 jr. set???) you could set it up. I see collets on ebay on occasion.
Doggai
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

If you call MEC and talk to one of the sales reps, you will find they are very willing to work with you and sell you just the parts you actually need, not the $169 set. Try it. It has always worked for me. JF

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Dogchaser37 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Jimbo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

MEC told me I need the entire kit to switch to 16 ga. But I'm not buying it. Going DOWN in gauge should require more parts changes, than UP in gauge. For instance, you can't fit a large deprime punch in small hull. But what's the problem going the opposite direction? The punch is strong enough to drive out the old primer. And in my case, the necks on the 16 ga. shells I shoot open up so well that I don't need the bigger deprime punch to flare them out. The smaller reprime ram should work just fine on 16 ga. shells, as long as I center the ram in the hull. The Sizemaster 20 can load 1 oz. and even 1 1/8 oz. shells. I can't imagine that there would be any problem using the same drop tube to load 1 oz. 16 ga. shells. Of course I realize that I'll need a new shell holder, sizing collet, wad guide, pre-crimper, and crimp assembly.

Mec has apparently raised their prices considerably lately. $169 for the full kit. That's a lot more money than I want to spend.
Maggs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

there's a 16 gauge set of dies on eBay right now... that has just gone up within the last day.

You might be able to get a good deal on a whole set of 600 dies. Then you'll only need the collet.

good luck.

Maggs
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:05 am  Reply with quote

If you plan on switching between gauges, I'd hold out for a seperate 16 sizemaster. Otherwise. do a mec search thru ask.com or google for sellers of mec. Then find who has the best combo of price and shipping cost