16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 / 20 FOX sterlingworth
jswanson
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

Saturday at a gun show I came across a fox sterlingworth with 2 sets of barrels. The original (phila) were 20 ga. The second set (Utica) we 16 ga.

All numbers matched, I have a 12 GA AE with two sets of tubes one Phila and One Utica but both are 12 ga.

I know the 16 is built on the 20 gauge frame (proof here I guess) so this was pterry interesting to see. The gun was in good shape mechanically and fair to good as regards blue. Colors were slim to none and wood was used but not beat.

Any ideas as to what its worth. I didn't buy it but I may. The ask was about $2700 maybe $2800. Don;t really remember.

Joe

fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:43 am  Reply with quote

Joe,

If you don't get the answers you're looking for here you might post this over on foxcollectors.com.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:20 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
jswanson
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. The 20 as a stand alone piece would bring at least $1700 in our area and most likely more. I don't understand why but 20's seem to bring more than 16. Lucky us I guess.

As to how cool the 16 ga set of tubes is ? Well pretty cool as I have never seen another two barrel set like this factory original or not.

However, I think the the ask is a little high.

Still pondering.

Joe

fred lauer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

One more point of view might be--What would it cost to buy a similar condition 20 AND 16? This is just a guess on my part but I'd say you're into about as much $ in this 2 bbl. set gun as you'd have in 2 guns(give or take a couple hundred). If it was me I'll take 2 guns any time over 2 barrels.