16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  gun ghosts
deer hunter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

Geez , it's rained like hell all day here - no way to avoid reloading . Stepping into the gun room and the spirits were running amuck ! Seems like every gun had to be petted and bring up old memories ... The old m-12's during the pheasant days ... the old 97 and 3 dead geese in the air at once ... the 10 ga that had to tell the old 97 that he had 3 dead geese in the air on one shot ... the old 95 pouting cause we can shoot rifles , but doesn't get taken cause of the BP guns ... the flobert - just cause it's cool ! ... and on and on . lots of old stuff , not expensive , just cool and so many tales to tell - only got one box of shells loaded ! Supposed to rain again tomorrow - see if my concentration is better !

hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:29 am  Reply with quote

It's imppossible to handle an old gun and not reflect on the memories Wink Cool
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:50 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
It's impossible to handle an old gun and not reflect on the memories

How true.

Some time back I picked up a DCM M-1 Garand. My father, who was 75 years old at the time, stopped by and asked to look at it. He was a USMC veteran who fought on Iwo Jima.

I handed him the M-1, and the instant he felt it in his hands, he froze and his eyes took on a strange far-off look. At that moment, I knew he was not in the basement of my home, but was charging up the sands of Iwo again, into the gates of hell.

After a while, he relaxed and performed the manual of arms with the gun, and handed it back to me. He had not held a Garand for over 50 years. Later we went to the range and from the sitting position at 100 yds he shot a group you could cover with a teacup.

I quit competing at DCM matches after that.
deer hunter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

B-11 ...Fortunately , or unfortunately , most of my stuff brings back huntin thoughts . We just found out today that a great shooting buddy at one of the clubs is terminal from cancer (Viet era ) - I grew up with a pile of Viet Vets - love em all good and bad - don't know if I could handle the stories their guns could tell !