16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Neat 16s at WilliamLarkinMoore
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:44 am  Reply with quote

Was over trying to make a deal on a last year of Savage production 16g. Sterlingworth 28" M/F 2 3/4" chambers, used but not abused, for S. Dakota. (difficult to pull off the hard-to-get thing while drooling)
They've gotten some neat 16s in recently:
1. M-37 QU special with gold engraving NIB for $1000
2. used but very nice M-12 with a plain brl. for $600
3. Really nice Parker VH #1 frame (double drool)
4. LC Smith Hunter Arms OO grade with ejectors, 30", M/F, 2 3/4 chambers.
Stock nicely refinished. Side-plates with some pitting and little case.
5. 2 name maker Belgium guns
6. 2 Chapius (have to ask brother Brown how to pronounce that one-sounded like Dan had a cold when he said it?)
Also new Arrieta's 557/ 570/ 578/ & 601 (means nothing to me) and Armas Garbi 100, 101, and 103 (how many 0's do you add to get the price? Shocked )
NOT that we'd be interested but they also have a nice pre-war 2 trigger 12g. M-21.
I should be back over in Scottsdale soon to close the deal with some slight measure of pride left (I do refuse to grovel but just might for that Parker Laughing) so let me know if I can check anything out for you. It would help me ALOT if someone would buy the Parker SC SBT I have on consignment!! Wink
For infro call Dan at 480-951-8913 and tell him the slobbering rev doc guy sent you.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Chapius is pronounced SHAP-WE'. I know this because my oldest and closest neighbor is a native of France and it happens to be his name. He is also a retired HS French teacher, so I'd have to say he'd know.

Wouldn't it be nice if it was his family who made these guns. i could probablty wangle a discount. They are one of the better French SxS guns and actually open and close like a normal hinge gun, which they are. OOPS! Thats gonna start a donnybrook. Rolling Eyes 16GG.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

I thought that was some funny looking wrinkled chinese dog Laughing
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
I thought that was some funny looking wrinkled chinese dog Laughing

A Chapius or a Donnybrook? Very Happy

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

Guy, I hope your neighbor's name is Chapuis, u before i, or it would not be pronounced the way you wrote--which is indeed the correct pronunciation. They're one of a very few French doublegun makers still in business. At one time, and fairly recently, they were the world's largest producer of double rifles. Don't know if that's still true. And relative to, say, new Spanish doubles, some of their models are not all that expensive.

Speaking of French pronunciation, I'll never forget stopping at a gun show table with 2 or 3 Darnes. "I see you have some Darnes," I said to the dealer. "I believe that's pronounced Dar-nay," he said, looking at me as if I had no clue. "Not in France, it isn't!" I told him.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

OK Larry-fess up. Rumor has it that you learned French with the CIA in Mozambique. Ever meet the pre-Mrs Heinz-Kerry over there?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, your spelling is correct. I just happen to have a bad case of the "Fumblethumbs" today, and I can't type worth beans any time. Besides, I don't think I was the only one who screwed this one up...right Doc? Laughing

Roger Chapuis doesn't have a Shar pei. Never did. He once had a Rhodeasian Ridgeback bitch who qualified for meanest dog in the neighborhood when I was a kid. she'd mouthed a few hienies in her time. One day the fool dog had the nerve and lack of sense to chase me into my family's garage with full intent to get a taste of my little pink butt. I was probably the fastest kid in two counties and had a good jump on her to boot. I made the garage well ahead of her as fast as she was. On the way in, I grabbed my #30 Mickey Mantle Model Louisville Slugger, which I kept in the left front corner just inside the door. The dog rounded the corner about the same time I swung the bat nice and level about waste high with a nice break over of the wrists and perfect follow through. Batter up! Needless to say, the dog learned not to screw with the kid next door and never had quite the same agressive attitude towards me after the lesson in manners. I never did tell Roger why the dog would take one look and hide under the porch every time she saw me after that. She was mean but not stupid. Wink
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:04 am  Reply with quote

Doc, you're sorta close. CIA sent me to Africa, but the other end of the continent! Mozambique would have been Portuguese. I majored in French in college, and the CIA actually sent me somewhere they speak it: Morocco. No Mrs. Kerry, but there was this hot KGB blonde. The things one must do for one's country . . .
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:19 am  Reply with quote

So that's how Detante started!! It figures. Laughing
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:42 am  Reply with quote

I thought Dante wrote something about hell-obviously NOT what brother Larry experienced!! Wink (at least until his handlers found out what he was up to off-hours)
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:11 am  Reply with quote

Whoop! Whoop! Whoop! Whoop! Whoo-oo-oop! Laughing If you do not speak Stoogian, you won't understand. its not translatable. Wink
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

NEED HELP and will try to 'speak' the King's english.(still not sure what 16GG is glossolalia-ing) I recognize that Philly Sterlingworth's are much more desirable but the Savage guns were made with left over Fox parts. I'm getting a 'shooter' rather than a 'collector', is just what I wanted for S. Dakota pheasants (28" brls M/F and fits me well), and will no doubt look alot worse for wear after one bird season chasing my new pup. SO the question is-should I expect the last year of production Savage gun to be as RELIABLE as a Philly gun? Thanks guys.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Revdoc, Savage made WAY too many SW's for them to have been made from leftover Fox parts. They did make some changes. Forend has a different shape, for example. However, a couple advantages of the Savage guns is that most of them are 2 3/4", and the dimensions are better than on some of the earlier Philly guns. At one time, I owned one of the very last SW 16's ever made. Fox fans would say there were some corners cut, especially late in the Savage years, but that was mainly cosmetic stuff. Guns were still solid and reliable. I'd say go for it. You have my blessing! (Wait a minute--that's YOUR line!)
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Larry-the forend was pretty ugly but it has factory 2&3/4 chambers and fit me well and was 'used enough' I won't worry when I fall in the S. Dakota gumbo.
So WHAT did the handlers do about the KGB chic? (does she live in Iowa now? Wink )
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:27 am  Reply with quote

Revdoc, the problem was that EVERY CIA agent wanted to "handle" her--including my boss. Saw her in action at a party one night, and before the evening was over, I expect she'd been "approached" by all of us.