16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Change 12ga Mag A5 rings to function with OTC trap loads?
jrothWA
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

Have a 1970 12ga Mag A5, function-fired today with Winchester buckshot, but
was a single shot using Estate trap loads.

Would changing out the Magnum friction bronze to standard Friction bronze allow me to enjoy some trap???

Thanks for responses.
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

I believe even an A5 with 3" chamber will fire loads to 1-1/8oz @ 1200fps if you put the recoil rings in the light load setting. If it doesn't cycle properly at the light load setting try cleaning the outside of the magazie tube thoroughly. You can find all the information you need at http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/auto5_mag_2up_s.pdf
Winchester21
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

Changing your A5 Magnum Bronze Friction Piece to the Standard's Friction Piece would actually cause more friction because it is wider and has more surface area. (That is when comparing 1 bronze piece to 1 bronze piece). The main problem is not with the bronze friction pieces but with the recoil spring itself. The Magnum one has a lot more resistance to it when compared to a standard recoil spring.

The suggestion above to read the Auto 5 manuals are well advised. If you're using only 1 bronze friction piece with 2 friction rings with the Magnum and it still doesn't let the gun cycle with the lighter loads, then you could try what is recommended for the Standard guns. DO NOT REMOVE THE BRONZE FRICTION PIECE, but take the Friction ring that sits between the recoil spring and the bronze friction piece and remove it. First try placing it at the bottom of the spring, next to the receiver. If still having a problem, remove it altogether. If still having a problem, try a little more oil on the magazine tube.

Never Ever shoot an Auto 5 without the Bronze Friction Piece in place or you will damage the gun.

My 20 Mag Auto 5 will cycle standard loads with 1 friction piece and both friction rings in place. For trap, I like using both friction pieces so as to cause the action to not fully cycle - that way I can open the action manually and not have to chase the empties. I have four Auto 5's and love shooting them for both trap and skeet, as well as hunting with them.

Note: Most of us do incorrectly refer to the Bronze Friction Pieces as "friction rings" but that can be misleading. You can download both Light and Magnum Auto 5 manuals on the Browning website.