16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Browning Citori Grade VI
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

16gg,
You don't know me very well. I buy a gun because I like it. But I buy ALL guns to shoot. My point on the Merkels and some of the Sterlingworths in extra nice condition was that they may cost as much as that Browning did. Not that they were the same grade gun. And I would still hunt with a new Merkel that would cost me $4000-6000. The Sterly I just bought is from around 1929, is a true 95% overall and would look good in any collection, cost me more than 1/2 of that Browning. It's going into the woods.
I've had unfired collector handguns that I bought at good prices and shot as soon as I got them. A couple of them where elephant ivory grips. They get shot with those grips on, not replacement grips.

That Browning if I were to own it, would be shot on the next pheasant hunt because I would have wanted the gun for hunting, not looking. Smile

But that's just me.

Besides, $4500 is not a lot for a decent double gun of quality. Fancy or not.

Oh yea I forgot, Conn Shotgun had an orig unfired in the orig box Sterlingworth last week. So they aren't all that hard to find. Only reason I didn't get that one to shoot and hunt with was it was in 12 ga. But I can assure it would have been shot. Very Happy

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

TJC, Like I've said from the start, each to his own. You claim to be an exception to the rule apparently about firing rare collecter grade guns that have never been fired before. Most folks would not. However, I do note that you did not buy this gun. Laughing

I agree, $4500 is not a bunch to pay for a good double depending on the double. It is a lot for a Citori. Most folks understand relativity, the value of rarity, etc. This particular Citori was one of only two made of its kind. It has never been shot. It still has the hang tag on it. That makes it a very rare gun. I'm betting the guy who bought it has no intention of shooting it. What do you think? We are not talking about what you'd do because you did not buy it. So its very unlikely you will ever shoot it Laughing

A full dress Fox would cost many thousands of dollars more than $4500. There is no telling what a new in box, top of the line Fox would run you, probably upwards of 100K. You keep talking about Sterlingworths like they are top of the line Fox guns. They never were. They were and still are a well made working class gun.

Plus, a 95% gun is not new in box. Not even close. It's 95% because it has been used. Once its shot, that is the end of new in box. It is now less rare and less desirable to a gun collecter. It's fine for a shooter if, as you have said yourself, it can be bought for a decent price. I doubt you'd be dumb enough to pay an NIB price for a 95% gun would you?. if so, I know quite a few gun dealers and traders who'd love to make your acquaintance. Just bring the money. Laughing

I understand you like to shoot what you buy. I haven't a clue what you would be willing to pay for a shooter. However, there is a huge difference between a 2.5K, 95% Sterlingworth and an unfired exhibition grade Fox worth a small fortune. Have you ever spent that kind of money on one and then fired it? Only you know the answer to the question. I'm betting you haven't--at least not yet. If you do, can I watch? Laughing

I'm also betting that you have other guns not as fine as 95%. If you were going out on a bad day or were going to be covering some tough terrain where there was a greater chance that the gun might receive some bangs and bumps, would you choose one of your more used guns or take the 95% one?

I'm not that different from you. We both mostly buy guns to shoot. I have some higher grade guns that were bought used at a good price, like you. I shoot them like you. I have some guns for the bad days and tough cover too. I have some unfired guns I bought collect and invest in. I'd be a dummy to shoot them, because my investment would be diminished. They will remain unfired. I could care less what the guy who buys them does with them after he meets my price. Thats his business.

I'm willing to make the distinction. It benifits me. I've never been a one way charlie. I doubt you are either. Guys like that usually aren't thinking much and make a bunch of mistakes like spending too much money for the wrong gun and using it for the wrong purpose or at the wrong time. Only you know the true answer to that. I'm betting you know better.