16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 gauge reloaders... WE NEED A BETTER HULL!!
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

I just finished an e-mail to Remington. This is the second time and I planned to ask again for a STS 16 gauge load again and again.......
Spending several years in the polyethylene business, I know the costs of tooling up to make a one piece 16 ga hull. Remington or anyone else has to see a return on their investment, and again, 16 gauge lovers lose......

As I typed, another thought came to me! Take the 16 Ga Remington black Game Load hull we all seem to somewhat like...... The additional cost to make that hull with a tube of super premium plastic like the "HS" plastic Winchester uses for example would only amount to a few cents extra per box.....

So I suggested to Remington that they bring out a 16 Gauge "Gun Club" load. Use the same head and basewad from the Game Load only give us a reloadable TOUGH tube!!!! Load them with their hard shot and sell them to us with the meager costs added on. (They charge enough extra for 16 now they could do it with no increase!)

My last line read: "A 16 gauge 'Gun Club' load would require little initial investment from you (Remington) and would then give us 16 Ga fans a strong reloadable hull, hard shot, and only a new 'Gun Club' box for you to design prior to market."

If they hear "we want a tough, reloadable 16 Ga hull" enough from us.. And it doesn't cost them a lot initially to make more $$ later... They might even do it!
I didn't believe we would see the R-16 wad back but the noise of many reached someone's ears!
I hope you all agree and let's all let big "GREEN" know! .......

Slidehammer
jroth
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

They came through for us with the R16.
I was at Vandalia for the last ATA, none of the ammo guys would explore the 16.
The AA debacle is NOT FAZING Winchester. Die hard reloaders have given up on the HS junk from Winchester and going to the STS hull.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:26 pm  Reply with quote

jroth--AMEN Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:36 am  Reply with quote

Do you honestly think Remington is going to add any more 16 loadings at all??? They would have done that a while back when they reintroduced the 16 ga 1100 and 870 models. Bottom line is they see no bottom line in it, so it ain't gonna happen.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:14 am  Reply with quote

jroth wrote:
Die hard reloaders have given up on the HS junk from Winchester and going to the STS hull.

jroth,

I agree with you on HS "junk" as to the total hull, but I was speaking only of the plastic blend (or recipe) used in the tube. One cannot say the crimp area of these HS hulls are lacking for life.
We can call the new plastic mix "STS" plastic blend for that matter as long as the simple job of changing away from the more brittle black plastic on 16 gauge Game Loads is "modernized" to give reloaders a break.

Slidehammer
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:37 am  Reply with quote

jroth wrote:
They came through for us with the R16.

The difference is that Rem. has been making the R16 all along, it's the wad they load in the 1 oz game loads.
All Remington had to do was bag up some R16s just like they do SP16s to sell as a component.
It's not like they went into production on a new item to keep the 16ga world happy. LOL

Pete
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:38 am  Reply with quote

Guys, five years ago, most gun and ammo companies assumed the 16 was a dead duck. Now there is steady increase of commercial interest. The latest Shot Show seems to indicate that this is so. This group has had a very positive and far reaching effect on this resurgence in the last year. Make no mistake. Our fame and influence is growing. We are the grass roots groundswell that brings about the success of any movement.

It took me five years of constant nagging at Remington to get them to agree to the first R16 purchase. However, they now see the benifit from it, because they are going to continue the practice throught Recob's. However, I could not have pulled it off without you folks and Recob's too.

The key here is get the major ammo and reloading purchasers to demand a better hull in the 16 as well as hammer Remington for it ourselves. We have the clout. Plus, don't forget to rub their faces in the fact that other ammo companies' hulls are at least as good as Remington's. This will pose a threat to their corporate pride.

I'd also play each ammo company off against each other. Why just hammer Remington? Why put all our eggs in one basket? If Remington isn't smart enough to recognize the benifits, then screw them. Go elsewhere. Other companies have indicated they are listening.

It takes a strategy and persistance, but it can be done. Let's just keep up the demand and not get either complacent or discouraged. We will get it done. 16GG.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:16 am  Reply with quote

Slidehammer wrote:
I just finished an e-mail to Remington. This is the second time and I planned to ask again for a STS 16 gauge load again and again.......
Slidehammer

My first answer from "David" at Remington was pretty dismal for a "STS" 16 gauge load and/or hull...... I can understand this.... This would be an initially $$$$ project. No comment was made to my question for a "better" plastic on an existing hull; so I asked "David" again.....
"David's" second answer tried to tell an old plastics veteran how costly this would be.... Yeah right!
I asked for a third time if Remington could at least go back to the eight segment crimp on their 16 gauge "Game Load" to give us more reloads from the existing black hull.... "David" said for the time the product line would "stand" as is.

Dear Mr. xxxxx. The investment in changing or adding a hull design would
> be based on demand for the product.

BUT..... The above quoted sentence from "David's" second response should be a wakeup call to all that read this and would like a better 16 gauge hull! By myself, I am an irritant. With a lot of help they will listen!

THEY WON'T ANSWER THE DOOR IF WE DON'T KNOCK!!

Think about it.......... Slidehammer
woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:38 am  Reply with quote

'Pears to me there might be some value in pursuing this line of thought with hull sources overseas as well---after all hasn't the 16 typically been more popular there than here?
Woodcock