16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  new arrival
larry
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:25 am  Reply with quote

The Charlin arrived yesterday. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Yippee! Yippee! It is a little rough but the action is very smooth and the barrels are mirror bright. The seller said it had 2.5" chambers. We removed the barrels and what a surprise. The gun had been to England and reproofed. 2.75 chambers and 3-1/4 tons per square inch. Proof marks everywhere. On the barrels were marked 1/2 choke and on the other barrel P. choke. What does the (p.choke mean? Also each barrel the #16.9. Is the the French version of the barrel diameter. On the barrel flats there was another #.669. The barrel diameter? Any and all info would be apprediated. Thanks in advance. Larry
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:41 am  Reply with quote

OK brother Brown-how do you pronounce this one? Sounds like some docs and preachers I've known. Confused
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

The choke markings, I'm guessing, are 1/2 choke for the right barrel, which, will likely be very tight modified (by today's standards, anyway) and full for the left barrel, since barrels with full choke were usually just marked "CHOKE". I don't believe the P has anything to do with it. You may also see the marking "NON POUR LE BALLE" on a barrel that is marked "CHOKE"-simple enough, the gun is choked too tight for pumpkin ball slugs, don't use them. The various Charlin catalogs I've accumulated don't make mention of P choke anywhere.
The 16.9 is, indeed, 16 gauge expressed in metric millimeters. I guess I'd pattern the thing to get a feel for how the chokes compared to what I'd be using it for, and with what ammunition, and make a call with the brutal reamer, if need be. Usually, a 16 gauge Charlin is a better grouse and woodcock gun than a goose gun, so opening the chokes is the way to go.
A Charlin (think of the pronunciation of the word "Charlie" and you are on the right track) lacks the steel reinforcing rod that is located in the wrist of a Darne, and is not a lockup design like a Darne-the action is an over the center device that keeps the gun closed at firing. Very novel. Me, I'd use low pressure ammunition in the gun for both reasons. Don't try to take the breech block apart, there are no exposed pins or screws in it, and they don't usually get dirty, plus you will lose some really small bearings and the springs they ride on. When the action is all the way open, you will be able to see two screws near the back of the breechblock, on the underside-they will have metal peened into the slots if the gun has never been apart.
The gun should open smoothly when it's cocked, and with a bit more effort after it has been fired-if you feel a clunk-clunk when you open a cocked Charlin, there is a broken flat spring internally that needs to be seen to. I have a few of the springs on hand.
Good luck with it. I've owned them in the past, along with Darnes, and they are both great designs, and interesting.
Best,
Ted
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

Most Americans will have a far greater problem saying Charlin than Darne. Darne is darned near like darn, or close enough for govt work. Charlin--first syllable is shar, second is the L plus a sound maybe halfway between ah and uh but slightly nasal, tough one for Americans to get. Same sound is on the end of the French word for American: americain. The N is not pronounced at all.
sbs470
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Larry Brown
Can you post some pictures of the proof marks .I have the French proof marks here and am looking for the P choke you mention but cannot find it either in the french or English Proofs
Could you please measure the chokes with a vernier ,you mention the right barrel is marked 1/2 choke it should measure .018 less than the bore diameter of .669 giving a diameter of .651.How does it shoot??????

good shooting
sbs470
larry
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:39 am  Reply with quote

Again thanks for the info concering my new Charlin I will attempt to attach a photo of the barrel flats. Larry I don't seem to be able to get the photo (in my email inbox). in this message. How do I do this? Larry[/quote]
sbs470
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:26 am  Reply with quote

Hi larry brown
sorry can't help you .I only got my digital camera on Wedensday.and I am still reading the books.I asked for one that would bounce.Currently I am calm!I will learn how to use it. I am calm!

good shooting
sbs470
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:58 am  Reply with quote

Have a Foster's, relax...have another Foster's, relax....have another Foster's, relax....soon, it won't matter at all!!! Laughing
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:18 am  Reply with quote

I'd love to see more pics on these threads so I'll give a shot at explaining how to post them. Bear with me as I've just finished a couple bowl's of my special Navajo blend!

First you have to go to a picture hosting web site. I use www.photobucket.com You have to sign up but it's free.

Click on the "browse" button on the page and browse your hard drive to find the pic you want to post. (Usually in "My Pictures)

Click on the picture and then click on the "submit" button. The pic will be added to the bottom of the photobucket page. Under the picture will be a URL box with the pics URL. At this point I click on the "edit" button and resize the pic to 50%.

Then click and highlight the entire URL under the picture and "cut" it.

Exit photo bucket and go to the forum of your choice and write your thread. Next click on the "Img" box and paste in the URL.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/nevcom/IMGP0325.jpg

[img]

Hit the submit button and you should be good to go.

(I'm really going to feel stupid if this doesn't work!)

Matt[/img]
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:24 am  Reply with quote

I forgot! On this site you do not have to "edit" and "re-size" so please ignore that part of my instruction.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:30 am  Reply with quote

Its Ok CF, we understand about the magic Cheyenne blend....or was that Shoshone? Here, just take apull on this here plum brandy and you'll be fine in no time. Laughing

PS: Thats a nice looking SxS. What is it?
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:51 am  Reply with quote

Thanks 16GG! That's my brand spanking new 124 year old William Powell & Son. 16ga. of course Laughing

Matt
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice gun.

sbs470
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:31 am  Reply with quote

Hi larry
It's 9.20 pm saturday night ,just home from work half way through the first bottle (26 oz) of Victoria Bitter the other Aussie Beer and am starting to relax.
My casual employee has offered to show me these magical things next week.
Now where is the rest of that bottle.

good shooting
sbs470
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:02 am  Reply with quote

AHHH! Victoria Bitter! Reminds me of my first Wife!

Matt