16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Old Friend
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

I posted on here back in December that my old Small Munsterlander Pointer, Dayzee Von Krieger had passed away.

Today I assembled a shadow box for her. I put in an old Upland ammo box (16ga of course) couple of pheasant tail feathers, her last collar, and the backing has several pictures of her. I took three old 16ga shells and loaded some of her ashes in them and put them in there as well.

Wife not to proud of my artistic abilities, and neither am I, but it will stay where it is.

Looking at some of the old pictures of her made me cry again. Six months and still miss the old girl.
double vision
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:43 pm  Reply with quote

I know the feeling.
Grousen
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:42 am  Reply with quote

Your post was quite moving. What a wonderful memorial to your beloved companion.

gunsrus
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:05 am  Reply with quote

Real tough Hootch , I feel your pain , they are so much a part of our lives . They will never be forgotten .
dukxdog
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:35 am  Reply with quote

Nice tribute to your dear friend. They don't live long enough but we surely do enjoy them while they are with us.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
fourtrax
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

nice touch.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch-

I still have pics of my first lab, and the only dog I've had to say goodbye to, in my office, home, and wallet.

Her memory is one of my most treasured posessions.

Ash

Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well- Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery Munjor, KS 1902
3crosses
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:20 am  Reply with quote

I am pulling 60 and still have a soft place in my heart for my first shorthair Suzie. She passed away when I was 17.

So I can fell your love for the old girl.
Ithacaman
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

My Boykin spaniel, Brownie passed about a month after your dog. One of the responses to my post at that time said the hurt will pass... a bit. And he had lost his hunting pal five years before.

Everybody has to take their own time. Do what you have to do. Obviiously the shadow box was good for you.

We have a spot on the carpet in a no-traffic area of our living room that still has Brownie's scratch marks. We haven't vacuumed there yet and don't know when we will.

In the meantime, we are considering breeders for our next Boykin. And that will be when we are good and ready and we're just not ready yet.

I feel your pain, but on the other hand, both of us shared a special bond between hunting dog and master. We're two of the luckier people in the world. We are to be envied.

bellasdad
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

I'm very sorry for your loss. I lost my Brittany, Starr in March. I had her creamated and she'll be buried with me. I think if you're really lucky God gives you a once in a lifetime dog. Starr was mine. She came to us as a rescue that no else wanted and she turned out to be the kind of dog people dream of. Now she belongs to the ages. We have three others all Brittanys,one of which is a rescue. I love all three, but some stay with you forever.
old16
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Over the years I have had 5 bird dogs and all very good. All special in their own way. Each with is certain ability that you remember. But yes their is one that stands out.
Each time I lost one it was an old pal leaving special times. I just had my 2nd golden retriever leave about a month ago. I have side kick scottie and my wife has a little poodle thats about 15. Stoned blind,diabetiac. Takes a shot twice aday. I've always treated my dogs as part of the complete family.
Now I'm pushing 63 in less than a month. Thought about getting another pup but the dog would probaly out live me by now. I don't think I could be fair to the dog as giving him a full life of hunting. I don't think someone would treat the dog as I would. So in that case I think from here on in I will probably Hunt alone or with somone with their own dog.
Something about a dog that brings out the boy in old men.

indianrunfarm
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:53 am  Reply with quote

This is to Old 16, I am in the same situation as yourself. getting older and a bit harder to get around the field. I just lost my English Pointer Beau to cancer a bit over a month ago. Hurt like heck and still does. Toward the end we could only hunt for a few hours at a time with rest time at the truck, but we both loved it. Thought the same about not getting another dog but tried looking around on places like Petfinder.com. There are a number of bird dogs in Indiana and Illinois that are adult and even senior looking for a home. I have one Im picking up in a couple of weeks. A few years old, hope he can hunt but a risk you take with most hunting dogs. Maybe a way you can get back out to the field with an older dog and both of you can enjoy a few more years in the field. I know hunting with out your dog or under someone elses is not as rewading as your own pup. Just a thought.