16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Shooting Trap
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

Guys,

Need the benefit of your collective wisdom and experience.

First--full disclosure. I recently read that the shooting sports are seeing a slight resurgence due to the fact that baby boomers who shot and hunted in their youth now have the time, money, and yearning to do so again. That's me. Trying to get back into the game, so to speak.

As a result, there's still a lot I'm trying to figure out, which is one
reason I visit this site frequently. My latest concern is shooting trap. Did a little as a kid, and now want to do more in order to hone my wingshooting skills (mostly pheasant in Nebraska, but may try dove and quail here in TX).

Last weekend my son and I went to a trap-only club (I don't currently belong to any club) where the people were very welcoming and the facilities were first rate. My quandary is this--the focus at this club is regulation ATA shoots. They have practice rounds on Sat and registered shoots on Sunday. Of course all the guns were 12 ga and most were fancy trap grades.

Question is this: Do I even try to fit into this culture, given the different goals? They're shooting for scores, and I'm interested in practice (and just the pleasure of shooting my 16 ga guns). I'm not averse to the whole ATA thing, but it's not the point, in my mind. So, should I just show up for practice rounds with my 16 ga field guns, or should I eventually buy a 12 ga Perazzi and show up on Sundays? If I show up just for the practice, am I violating an unwritten rule, or failing to meet certain (possibly unspoken) expectations?

I know a lot of you belong to these types of clubs, so I thought I'd run this by the group for opinions.

Thanks,

P.S. What do you guys shoot at the trap range? Is there a 16 ga gun for the serious trap shooter?
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:36 pm  Reply with quote

Excellent question 662 and you're going to get lots of insight/opinions from 16GG, hoashooter, busting clays, and likely Wolfchief. My only contribution is that every club has it's own 'culture' and usually the serious ATA guys don't particularly want you joining their squad BUT they usually practice together and within the club there are other casual/wingshooters who also shoot together and would love for you to join them. You WILL find a place for you and your son (and will likely end up with that Perazzi anyway! Laughing
ON THAT SUBJECT: there is a rumor that in the early days of the Grand some farmboy in overalls walked? drove? by with a 16g. M-12 and won it all. Any of you real trapshooters able to confirm this and won't that make good ammunition next time somebody looks side-ways at our 16G 'trap gun'
662-I'd say the best 16G trap gun would be a full choke M-12 with a 28" brl (unlikely to find one longer) You may need to add alittle padding to the comb to raise the pattern though.
Good shooting, have fun, make friends, and take those teens out!
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

Hi 662:

I'm like you. I like to shoot informally and even though my club has registered ATA shoots nobody gets upset that I don't participate.

However, if your main interest in clays is practice for the field you may be better served at a club that offers more than trap. I believe skeet, in particular, is better practice for actual hunting conditions, especially if you shoot with a low gun and not a pre mounted one.

I would try to shoot at several other clubs to make a comparison before joining.

Matt
L Kenney
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

Skeet's fine but if you find a club with a sporting clays course you'll enjoy yourself even more.
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

I would say you should be fine if they shoot practice rounds on Sat. There has to be others looking to do the same thing you want to with your son.
I belong to a couple of clubs. One of them has a big trap group that shoots nonreg on Sundays. As stated above they kind of stay together with their B guns etc. But there are a number of others that shoot in other squads with all kinds of guns. I shoot my Citori Feather in 16 ga. I'm not a trap shooter but can usually break 22 or 23 with that gun. It's a day at the range for me. Smile
I actually did have some of the trap shooters looking when they found out I was shooting a 16 ga. Very Happy

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Everyone to his own, fellas, but an observation or two: Sporting Clays is fun, but a few dozen rounds of skeet will teach a new person to the sport, the importance of stance, swing, proper leads, etc. AND skeet is the "friendliest" clay target game I've ever shot. I believe it might be a good idea to shoot skeet, then try sporting clays. Also, in my area, one can shoot 10 rounds of skeet--25 birds/round---for what ONE round of 100 sporting clays targets cost. I shot a fair amount of trap years ago, and at some clubs (not all !) the emphasis was "shoot trap, don't talk and no distractions" and I just enjoyed myself more when I shot skeet. YOU might feel differently though...

I do have the 16 ga., 28" full choke Model 12 that someone mentioned above. It makes a fine 16 yard trap gun, and would be good out to about 20 yards or so. For 25 yard shooting and further back, a gun specifically designed for that game would be best. By all means try all 3 games and gravitate to the one(s) you enjoy most. And WELCOME to this fine site---the people here are GREAT !!

john555
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

I would have to agree that you would be better off shooting skeet. Shoot all the stations in the old way of gun down and you could ask for no better primer for upland bird hunting. Skeet tends to be more relaxed and informal than trap. However I shoot both skeet and trap at my local club, with sixteen gauge guns. I use a Browning Feather for skeet and an Ithaca Model 37 full choke field gun for trap. Walked away with the handicap championship last year. Drove the 12 gauge crew into such a flap that they were looking in the rule books to see if I should be allowed . I just love pissing on their cornflakes.

The thing you want to do is have fun, so find a club with members who are more interested in you than your scores.

Regards
John
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

John: What a great story Laughing Do you have any pics of the event/trophy presentation/you and your 16 that you could post for braggin'/needling them Perazzi fellas (like 16GG)?
Have to agree that skeet is usually much more relaxed than trap and low-gun skeet in general is better wingshooting prep (see the '2 trigger skeet' thread) BUT one of the best pre-bird season tune ups (when the club will let you re: safety issues) is to stand 10-15 feet behind the trap house with your pheasant gun-going away climbing shallow angle targets just like most pheasant shots. Even better if the club has a 'wobble trap'.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

Ask the guy running the show about their procedures.Our club has registered shoots and practice rounds.These are two separate events.I welcome all non-registered shooters at the club.These guys soon become familiar with the game and either start shooting registered or try another shooting discipline.I would hold off on the sporting clays at first.These courses can humble a experienced shooter and totally emberrass a new shooter.Secondly don't worry about the make/cost of your shotgun.I think this is completely blown out of proportion.Shoot what you hunt with and shoot it well.A fifteen thousand dollar shotgun does not make a champion.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

Amen to your last sentence, hoashooter ! I just love to take my 50 year old 16 and 20 ga. Model 12's and beat the the high dollar guys who change chokes at the station, meticulously mount their 12 ga, custom-stocked Perazzis, Berettas or Krieghoffs with a life or death stance, and generally try to spoil everyone's Saturday with their "kill or be killed" attitudes..... the idea of using your time at your chosen club to have fun and prepare for the bird season sounds like a good way to go.

fred lauer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

Where ever and what ever game you decide to shoot,you'll usually find a lot of support from the regulars on the range.Some of the best shooters I've met are more than willing to share information on anything from technique to how to disasemble your triggers to hot buys on wads and shot.I shoot a 1962 Superposed 12 for handicaps but I like to take my old side by sides in 16 and 20 ga.to the 16 yard line.Even the most dyed in the wool trap shooters love to look at them and a few have even shot them. To date I have'nt made any 16 ga. converts though. I do have the pleasure of being the only guy to break 25 regularly with a B model Fox 20. Like some one noted; it kind of sends the Perrazzi and Kriegoff boys away shakin their heads. Just make sure that it's always fun when you're shooting.

bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:54 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I shoot skeet, trap, sporting clays, wobble trap, 5-stand, and crazy quail pretty regularly at 4 different clubs. I also shoot league in trap (Thursday nights) and skeet (Tuesday nights) from April to September. I expended (big word, spelled and used correctly for 16gg) 12,000 shotshells last year playing all these games - yehaw!!!

I am the ONLY 16 gauge trap shooter in the trap league at Edwardsville Gun Club (Oldest in Nation!) - at least the only 16 gauge trap shooter there that I know of Wink I bought one of the rem 1100 classic fields last year that ya'll were fussing about being on a 12 gauge frame and ran a 50 (16 and 22 yd) the first night out - got a LOT of attention. The extra weight (while I can't tote it all day, suits me well on the trap field - exactly why I bought it Cool ) Even bought a 12 gauge shell catcher for it and it works great - one oz 8s and full choke shoots like a dream.

All that said, I prefer shooting skeet for what some others have said - that and I can usually shoot 4 rounds of skeet on Saturday morning before the group on the trap field at Town and Country Gun Club talks it up and shoots one round Laughing

I shoot mounted gun in skeet and follow it with low gun in any round (even at station 8 Wink ) after I have missed three birds - and yes, this can even happen after station one Confused

My advice, play all shooting games, BE SAFE, shoot every day you can, stay away from clubs/groups that get too serious, and TAKE someone new with you every time you can.

p.s. a round of skeet is still a $1.50 at one of the clubs I shoot at

p.s.s. I promise to wear my overalls next year to Sparta if they let me shoot my 16 (50 miles away from my house and I can't wait)....

Dr. 16 Gauge
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:24 am  Reply with quote

Dr., you sound like a man after my own heart...

sbs470
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:01 am  Reply with quote

Hi 662 and every one else
just go out and enjoy your self ,if you develop your skills well enough to give the serious competition shooter some grief then good luck to you.most importantly have fun.I shoot mainly mid week and weekend practice, all clay disciplins with a side by side either 12 or 16 ga and am looking around for a webley live bird gun so I can shoot more DTL.
The other week I shot comp and the club loaned me a brand new Berretta model??????? straight out of the box.I shot one round and gave it back and used my webley 16ga.O/Us just dont feel right any more.but what ever you shoot , enjoy it.What gives me a buzz is when I shoot a good score with a sxs in 16 or 12 it gives the old boys something to talk about and I am the only one out there with a 16

good shooting
sbs470
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:15 am  Reply with quote

The best advice I can give any new/old shooter about finding the right club is consider what the club is geared for. If it offers what you would like to do, then you will find the folks there will have shared interests and will be easy to get along with. You will learn what you need to know fairly quickly and will make friends. If the club is geared for a shotgun activity that does not suit what you want to do, then you will always be on the fringe and will not quite fit in.

ATA trap oriented clubs attract very competative, serious trap people. These folks want to practice and perfect a very specialized game. ATA shooters shoot for recognition and money. They want to shoot with folks like themselves, who take the sport seriously. The guns they use are very speciaslized. Trap is an intense, very focused game where missing one or two targets puts you out of the running. Showing up on the line with a 16 ga hunting gun is not the best idea most of the time.

Registered skeet shooters are just as competative as registered trap shooters. The guns they use are also very specialized and are not hunting guns. Again, showing up on the line with the average 16 ga. hunting gun to shoot with a squad of these guys is probably not the best idea either.

You have stated above that you'd like to shoot some informal trap and skeet for fun and to perfect your wingshooting skills for hunting. If you want to find a club that offers what you want, look for the small club that has one trap field, one skeet field, a nicely appointed but modest club house, and maybe a fish pond.

When you pull up on a Sunday morning, you will find trucks and suvs full of hunting dogs wagging their tails, guys standing around drinking coffee and joking, maybe a cribbage game going on in the club house at the table near the fire. You will see both young and old. There will be every configuration of shotgun made in every gauge including a smattering of 16 ga guns. There will be a group shooting trap and another shooting skeet. The skeet guys will be joking quietly amongst themselves as the guy on station shoots his targets. A miss will invoke some gentle ribbing and some good natured laughter. A hit will earn the shooter an attaboy from his friends. The trap guys will be doing the same in a slightly more subdued manner as the 5 guys on station take their targets in turn. There will be an informal easygoing attitude generally shared by everyone there. Someone will come over, offer his hand, ask your name and invite you to stay and shoot a line or two. When you find this club, you will know you are home. Good luck and just keep looking until you do. 16GG.