16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Long tales and gun sales
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:16 am  Reply with quote

Have you ever noticed that the guns that have a long story also seem to always have a long price to go with them. Lately I've seen a couple of 16 ga guns on the various for sale and auction sites. Both deals appear to be questionable.

One was a standard grade 16 ga. 37 pump with a 28" full choke ribbed barrelin about 75% condition with some amatuerish homedone checkering. The seller claimed the gun was a supreme grade and also a skeet model. However, he wasn't real sure and was only going on what some expert on a gun talk site told him??? It was on auction and then disappeared before a bid was placed. The opening bid was around $500. I would have to say that if the gun was sold at the asking price, someone took a frapping. I hope it was nobody on this site. I don't know a whole bunch about older Model 37's, but some things didn't add up on this one.

There is another 16 ga Browning Citori grade VI. This one is supposedly the first Grade VI 16 ever made and was specially sent back to Belgium to be engraved????. Thats funny. Miroku has had their own engravers for decades now. Some of the work they did on the Charles Daly field and superior grade guns was pretty good. The other thing is the dealer claims the gun must be sold by 03/12 or some close by date or else. Or else what? Will it turn into a pumpkin by then? He"s asking over 6K on it. This on a gun he just has to sell quick.????

Am I missing something here? You gotta love these folks that try this kind of stuff in public. Frankly, I wonder where some folks get the nerve. But, like P. T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute." Anyway, there it is in all its seamy glory. I just thought I'd throw this up to let you guys know what I've come across, so you don't step in it without a word of caution.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:23 am  Reply with quote

And then there's the 16 ga Sterlingworth that sold a few days ago for $1630 when the Buy Now price was $1200!
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:55 am  Reply with quote

I haven't looked in the last few days but there has been a 16 gage Remington 11-48 on Gunbroker.com for weeks now. The dealer wants an opening bid of something like $375! This for a $200 gun!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:20 am  Reply with quote

I once knew a somewhat Barnumesque gun trader who used to ply his wares at various gun shows around central Florida. He was quite a character with a likable disposition and a perennial twinkle in his eye. Everyone who knew him knew enough not to buy any of his offerings unless they knew exactly what they were getting. He also seemed to be very fair to the knowledgable and would barter. However, if he figured the mark was not well versed in guns, he'd lay it on thick and liberal. He had an uncanny knack for picking them out too. It was rumored that he sold U. S. Grant's personal Colt percussion revolver at least three times. He was known to refer to his clients as "sappingtons". Laughing At least he was honest about being shady.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Whether it be guns,cars or cigars the buyer should know the value of the item to be purchased.Remember the old saying-keep your eyes open and your wallet closed---- Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:07 am  Reply with quote

Absolutely. It is definately "buyer beware." At gun shows or shops, I like to listen to the pitch and say very little. Maybe a specific question of two. However, your eyes should tell you 90% of what you need to know. Common sense will fill in the rest.

Unfortunately, the internet trade has changed the game. We do not have a brokerage agency yet. You would think some smart gunshop owner or FFL holder in each state would step up. He could accept the funds and the gun from the two parties and see that the deal is consumated. He could also act as the licenced FFL transfer agent. It would be worth a fee. I personally do not like sending money to strangers on a promise without a surety.

There have been problems on Ebay and some of the other auction sites from lack of recourse. None of these web sites will back you up if your money disappears or the goods aren't as represented. You must rely on the integrity of the seller.

I was involved in an ebay deal that went sour for two gun cases this spring. The shop owner set a very attractive price for the two. I accepted on a "buy it now." I called the shop owner, varified the price and shipping, and gave him a credit card number. When I got the two cases, the seller had tacked on an unauthorized extra $60 for service charges not even mentioned in the ebay ad or our phone converstation. Ebay was absolutely no help. My card company stonewalled me for 3 monthes but eventually ate the $60 themselves rather than prosecute the dishonest dealer. Its a good thing I had everything documented with copies of every email and ebay invoice or I'd have been screwed. Even then, it was hardly worht all the correspondence, time, and aggrevation. however, I simply refused to be taken and fought it to a conclusion.

The sad fact is the dealer got away with it and is probably still doing the same thing to others. If he can screw over folks for 25 to 75 bucks a deal, he will make a nice unwarrented overage by years end. The extra charges are not worht hte fight and the credit card companies don't care about small disputed sums. So its worth it to him to keep it up. I lit his ass up on the feedback line but he's still doing a solid business. There are just too many buyers and the odds are with him. Like I said, buyer beware. 16GG
scorpion
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:55 am  Reply with quote

16GG-

You mentioned a sharp gun trader around central Florida. Was his last name Uhrquart, from Milton (near Pensacola). I knew that guy, he's dead now, and he had a well-deserved reputation as someone NOT to deal with in anything, real estate, livestock, houses, cars, ANYTHING.

I don't believe he's missed.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:04 am  Reply with quote

The fellow I'm thinking of is probably gone by now too and had the nickname "Colonal". I Can't recall his surname and its just as well. Your man does not raise a memory. Pensacola is a good distance from the greater Orlando area and south. If he was as bad as you say, then its a good thing. We had enough "characters' at our area gun shows. Some were comical, others were just miserable bozos. Everyone in the loop knew them though. It was the unwary who usually got stung. It usually is. 16GG.