16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Roll Crimp
Rabbitdog
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

Help...I need information on roll crimping "Paper Hulls " . I talked to the folks at Ballistic Products and they had no idea how to do it. I have their roll crimper tools but they are only for plastic. I found another tool but it's only for Brass !

Thanks in Advance....Rabbitdog
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

Mabey the reason being the limited number of times a paper can be reloaded? Papers tend to burn at the brass/paper juncture.I have roll crimped plastic-you can always trim off the bad and adjust your load.Keep in mind that a paper crimp starter is COMPLETELY different from a plastic one on a regular press.Just how many paper 16's do you have--enough to mess with?I find a good source of roll crimped hulls at the range every deer season.
jchandler
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

The antique roll crimpers obviously pre-date plastic hulls. They work well with both paper and plastic. Easy to find in 12 gauge but not so common in 16. Jeff
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff don'tcha reckon it's all in the shape/form of the forming die--but like you said the oldies load both??????----Would the thickness/have a factor????Got me thinking on this one Idea
Rabbitdog
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
Jeff don'tcha reckon it's all in the shape/form of the forming die--but like you said the oldies load both??????----Would the thickness/have a factor????Got me thinking on this one Idea

Thanks for the input folks...
Hoashooter....First, to avoid upsetting any 16ga folks I must state that I do make roll crimp 16s. Just for fun. Often when 2 3/4 "plastic hulls start to show wear I'll trim them and roll crimp them for 2 1/2 ". Great fun and they spark a lot of questions at the trap range.
Second... I have an inherited 12 ga. SxS. It is a 1904 Hopkins and Allan
hammer gun with early fluid steel 30 " barrels, F/F. It is in excellent condition and I have shot it alot in the last 30 years. I load pyrodex and
1 oz. loads into Federal paper hulls. I still have about 1,500 hulls and usually get about 4 reloads per hull. I think that doing a roll crimp would
add something neat to the Antique period theme of paper shells, hammers and smoke.
If anyone knows of an antique roll crimp tool that can e purchased please
let me know.
Thanks to all......Rabbitdog
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

Curently there are two 16ga. manual roll crimpers listed on e-Bay--they start at about $20 per copy.
Roll crimping paper is essentially the same as rolling plastic---just spin a bit slower. Rapid spinning of the die can soften the wax a bit much--a bit of practice will be required to get it just right.
Also, a 'shell ironer' is helpful. This contraption heats the hull and remelts the wax so as to provide a more rigid shell wall to crimp--sometimes you may want to re-wax hulls; a mixture of paraffin and beeswax will work. I haven't seen them lately, but during the last month there were some of the 'ironers' of RECENT MANUFACTURE listed on eBay (they were sorta' expensive).
I agree about the "antique" ambience-------------
sparky
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

Rabitdog,

While crusing through for other in formation I found a Lyman Roll Crimp Head. With drill press adapter. For roll crimps most shotshells. Specify for gauge.
This was in the back of
DBI books
Reloading for Shotgunners
It,s an old book but I would give Lyman a shout what, the worse they can say? Sparky
greg
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:34 am  Reply with quote

I have a 12ga antique roll crimper, interested?
Rabbitdog
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

greg wrote:
I have a 12ga antique roll crimper, interested?

Thanks Greg--Sparky--Woodcock--Hoashooter --and JChandler....for your inputs. I just bought two antique roll crimpers on Ebay . One in 12 ga. and one 16 ga. I'll let you'all know how they work. ...Rabbitdog