16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  LL Bean
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Just saw these boots from LL Bean, they are listed as "Technical Upland Boots". They are also listed in the Pheasants Forever magazine. They look like they would be light and comfortable. The only thing I don't like is it says "Imported" in the description.

Just wondering if anyone has a pair or maybe something like them made by another company.

I wear LL Beans, Maine Hunting Boots most of the time in CT, because there is usually standing water where I hunt. I wear Rockies Cornstalkers the rest of the time. But these look interesting.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Mark,
I looked them up on the LL Bean site. They're sort of Danner Winterlights carried to extreme. I suppose they are light and waterproof as is advertised, but being a traditionalist with individual needs for my feet, I'll stick with some Russell from Berlin,WI.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

AM,

A friend wears Russell's all the time, they seem like real nice boots and he swears by them.

But I am always looking for new stuff. All leather boots and I don't seem to work out so well.

Jgoodman1933
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

Ditto on the Russell's from Wisconsin. Ive had mine for four years. I highly reccomend. I went to the home office in Wisconsin had them take all measurements custom made.

MHinGA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:54 am  Reply with quote

X3 on the Russell Moccasins. I've been wearing a pair of South 40 Birdshooters that they made for me for the past six years; the best boots I've ever had.

Heb 13:14
PatrickB
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:43 am  Reply with quote

Interesting looking LL Bean boots. Probably not my "style" but it will be interesting to read the field reports after the season from those who wear them.

I was a long time Danner boots fan. My boots lasted so long they no longer make the model. I was not crazy about the new model so I took the "big step" and sent Russell my measurements in the spring. After 4 weeks with no response from Russell I contacted them for a stutus update. They had not even gotten to my order yet but a week later they contacted me after reviewing my measurements. They asked me to measure my left foot again as they wanted to confirm it was more than 1 size smaller than my right foot. Upon confirming the measurements were correct they made the boots and 3 weeks later they arrived at the door. The boots fit perfect. Comfortable to wear cutting the grass. Looking forward to wearing them this season.
gsilber
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

I have a pair. I was looking for a new pair to replace my aging Red Wing Irish Setters. First impression is that they are light and comfortable. They are lined with Gore Tex and have a mechanical lacing system that replaces the typical laces with a coated stainless steel wire and a ratcheting winding device to tighten to fit. Will first use them the middle of August at our chapter's NAVHDA test.

kremerd
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

gsilber, I have seen the Irish setters for years and was thinking about getting them, how did you like them? The boots from Wi. just seem awfully high priced but I'm sure they are nice but arent't they over $400.
Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

kremerd wrote:
gsilber, I have seen the Irish setters for years and was thinking about getting them, how did you like them? The boots from Wi. just seem awfully high priced but I'm sure they are nice but arent't they over $400.

The South 40 Birdshooters have a base price of $365 and you can add leather lining for $14.70 and heel counters for $16. I have 3 pair that are 1 to 12 years old. I still wear the oldest pair and I have had them resoled once and only because I wanted a softer sole.

I never had a pair of Danner's last me more than 2 or 3 seasons and they cost $250. Usually after the first season they started to leak. I think the gore tex lined boots only work until the gore tex gets a little worn. If you don't need water proof boots then there are definitely cheaper alternatives.

The Russel's are pricey up front but I think a better deal long term. They are all leather so they breathe and are essentially waterproof. They have a great number of styles and some are less money than the South 40's but they lack the triple vamp construction that makes them so watertight.
gsilber
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

kremerd,

Red Wing boot are well made and high quality. I like the pair of upland boots I have, but the insoles are wearing and at the end of the day my feet hurt. It was just time to replace them. I have had a number of Red Wing boots in my life (mostly work boots) and I have always been happy with them. I haven't priced any boots from their new lines, but I'm sure the range of prices go from moderate to high. $400 would be to rich a price for me to pay.

I got my Irish Setters at Sierra Trading Post ... they were a discontinued model from a couple of years earlier, so if I remember correctly they were only around $45.

BTW .. Red Wing is on the MN side of the river, so they are MN not WI boots.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

My Red Wings are just like the boots my dad wore: all leather uppers, crepe (?) soles. To me they are the quintessential upland boots; they may be a little heavy, but they just have "the look", not to mention they give great support. Since this will be my first season on the broken leg, support is a good thing!

I also have a pair of Bean Hunting Shoes, 17" (I think; whatever the tallest ones are) tops, which I love, but tucking most faced hunting pants in is a challange. HOWEVER, I got a pair of Orvis waterfowl pants on sale which I've wanted for a long time - tapered leg and elastic cuff - so I'm looking forward to seeing how they work with the tall boots.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

gsilber,

Let me know how you like them, especially that lacing system.

gsilber
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

rerun,

Will do.

I just looked at the tag on the boot for the lace tightening system which I was worried about down the line. After all, if a lace breaks, I can get a replacement almost anywhere. The tag states the following:

The Boa Dialed for life guarantee
Boa Technology guarantees the Boa Lacing System reel and laces for the lifetime of the product.
http://boatechnology.com/

The uppers are made of SuperFabric. Here is their url/what_is_it page
http://www.superfabric.com/pages/what_is.htm

kremerd
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone tried the Cabela's Kangaroo insulated featherlite boot $159.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

Geez,,,,,,,,,,
Now I'm gonna' have to get a pair,,, of, you guessed it,,, Russells.
R*2