16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  LL Bean
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:19 am  Reply with quote

kremerd wrote:
Anyone tried the Cabela's Kangaroo insulated featherlite boot $159.

I've got nothing but good things to say about them. Of course I had to swallow hard on the initial price as I first bought a pair in the late '80's, and they were $150 then. But they wore like cast iron, were soft and felt light as a feather. However, with only 200 grams of Thinsolate, they were not warm enough for me during winter hunting seasons.

I have since bought 3 pair of the un-insulated kangaroo boots, both from Cabelas and Browning. I was told they were all made by Redwing. I did get the Browning pair replaced under warranty when something inside of the sole at the welt punctured the Gore-Tex. I still wear the replacements.

I took 2 pair with me on a safari to Namibia where the terrain is measured in miles, not yards...in case the first pair got saturated with sweat and needed a day to dry out. I still had spring in my step at the end of the day whereas my hunting partner got blisters from his Danners.

bellasdad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

The best I've come across are Danner Grouse boots. They're made in the USA and you can get them resoled. I love them,3 pairs worth. You can get them from Ugly dog cheap.
gsilber
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:09 am  Reply with quote

I wore my LLBean Tech Upland hunting boots for the first time in the field this weekend. at our NAVHDA chapter's test. I have a wide foot and ordered the EE width. They seem to be sized correctly based on other boots I own.

They are light and comfortable with tread that grips well. I had to walk through standing water and my feet stayed dry ..... of course with GoreTex they all seem to start out that way and break down with wear.

I am most impressed with the Boa lacing system. With my Irish Setters, I was having to lay my gun down in the field to re-tie my boots quite often. With this Boa system, I put them on in the morning, tightened the laces to where they were comfortably secure and they stayed that way until I released the Boa device to take them off. One of the guys at the test works part time at a ski shop and is familiar with the Boa lacing system because it is used extensively on ski boots. He says it is an excellent system, but skiers tend to abuse their equipment and the Boa laces do break. He didn't think that hunting boots would normally see that type of abuse. He is familiar with the repair procedure, having fixed a few them. For me if they break (warrantied for the life of the boots) I can have him fix them but for others I would assume a ski shop would be able to fix them.

Overall I am very pleased with them.

rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

gsilber,

Thanks!! Very Happy Cool

rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

gsilber,

How are those L.L. Bean boots doing, wore my Rockies this weekend and they leaked, so I think it's time for some new boots.