16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Bought a Spartan 16
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Went to Gander Mountain and picked one up for under $400.Thought this would be a good beater and hunting gun.Tonight shooting practice skeet I managed 2 -24's,one straight and a 23 in 40 degree weather and 15-25 mph winds.Not bad for a new gun.This gun may not be pretty and the lop could be increased 3/4"--next project.Time will tell how well it stands up to repeated firings.
3DocPop
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

Oh, for a Gander's in California. I just checked their web ad, and they show the 12 gauge O/U for $429. Looks like you got a great price!

I hope the gun works well for you. I am saving the nickels, and trying to find one locally that is not priced like it was shipped on foot Exclamation Although, given the price of the more upscale guns, maybe $500 is all right.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:16 am  Reply with quote

Hoa,

I have a Baikal SxS 16 that I can shoot as well or better than my "better" guns. I believe they represent excellent value and I believe they will hold up quite well.
RuffBuff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:01 am  Reply with quote

Hoa,

If it's not too much trouble and you'd have the inclination, I was wondering if you'd mind answering two questions for me about your new 16 Spartan:

1) What does it weigh?

2) Where is its balance point (fulcrum) in terms of inch(es) in front of, or behind, the hinge pin?

I am familiar with both the 12-gauge and the 20-gauge and my opinions of how they both feel to me vary significantly. I am curious which way the 16-gauge might lean in that regard and whether I might choose to look closely at one in the near future.

Thanks,
Ruff

“Hunting is one of the last genuine, personal adventures of modern man. Just as game animals are the truest indicators of quality natural environment, so hunting is the truest indicator of quality natural freedom.” … John Madson
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

Ruff-
1) 7 1/4 lbs.
2) 1/2 inch foward of the hinge pin
It has the same size receiver as the twelve.The 12's were 20 dollars cheaper than the 16's Evil or Very Mad Shocked .Still not a bad price for a good hunting(and skeet practice gun)I would rather use this as a loaner than a Browning Wink Idea Idea
RuffBuff
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:43 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, hoa.

Although that's still a little on the heavy side, it would seem like the 16-gauge may lean toward the 20-gauge for me in terms of feel. The gun may not be as barrel-heavy as the 12-gauge seemed to me.

Think I'll have to look one up.

“Hunting is one of the last genuine, personal adventures of modern man. Just as game animals are the truest indicators of quality natural environment, so hunting is the truest indicator of quality natural freedom.” … John Madson
Ken
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Is the $400 for a O/U or S/S? I saw one O/U and it was $500 at the local gun shop.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

Ken--O/U local GM has them on sale till the end of this month