16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Powder Question
ColoradoPaul
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

I have what is a pretty basic question concerning powders. For a few years I’ve been doing all my 12g target loads (always 1 oz #8 or #9) with Alliant’s e3, and I love it. It has got to be the cleanest burning stuff around.

Now that I’m shooting a couple of 16g’s, and have gotten hooked up this outfit and the LP group, I’ve been dutifully loading to the recipes provide by the LP group (mostly using Green Dot). Alliant’s information on their web site does not show any 16g or 20g loads using e3.

So my question is: What is the fundamental difference between a powder like Green Dot and a powder like e3. How do they perform differently? Can any one suggest a good reference of book that discusses this sort of thing?

Thanks
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Paul,
www.ballisticproducts.com sells a neat little book on powders for reloading. You might check it out. I believe that e3 is strictly a 12 gauge powder. It is faster burning than green dot and thus not suitable for the smaller gauges.
I like Unique for the 16, 20, and 28 gauges. It works great for all three and I don't have to keep lots of different kinds of powder on hand. In fact, one can even load the 12 gauge w/ Unique as there are recipes for it. For the 12 gauge, I prefer Titewad as a little goes a long way.
XVI

RWG
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

Paul:

Its tough generating moderate pressures and velocities of, say, 1200 fps in 1 oz. 16 gauge loads with fast burning 12 ga. powders. Moderate burn rate powders are best suited to loading small bores. Unique, Universal Clays, Green Dot, Solo 1250, IMR SR-7625 and the list goes on. I have no experience with 3E. However, I suspect it has a faster burn rate. Russ
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:10 am  Reply with quote

As was stated most of the target powders coming on the market these days are for 12 ga shooters as that is the most popular skeet and trap gauge.
When you reload for a 16 ga gun you have to put yourself in the mindset that what works for the bigger shotguns is not going to work all the time in the 16, slower burn rate powders are needed because of reduced internal capacity in the smaller hulls. A very basic rule is use powders designed for 12 ga hunting loads for most 16 ga applications, target powders like Red Dot, 700X, E3, Clays etc are to fast burning for the 16.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I find Green Dot to be satisfactory for 12, 16, 20, and 28 gauges. I buy it by the 8lb jug and have at it - one powder fits all kind of thing Cool

I do use that %$^& 296 for 410 - it gets everywhere Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad . When this 4 lb jug is gone I'm going to try something else.

Dr. 16 Gauge
ColoradoPaul
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Thanks for all of your replies. Looks like I’m going to have choose a powder for the 16g. I prefer the one powder for all things approach also.

It has been a rainy overcast day here in Denver. A good day to reload. Being Denver, yesterday it was 50 and clear skies. A good day to shoot;

Thanks again.

Paul