16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Winchester Model 12's for duck hunting.
Skydancer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:15 pm  Reply with quote

I've been flying for a guy for the last 13 years who is a member of a high Llama duck club in the Sacramento Delta near Stockton, California. Now, most of the members shoot semi-autos like Benelli or Beretta. I've been seeing a lot of misses lately and too many cripples. I'd kinda like to bring one of my model 12's out there to show them it ain't the arrow, but the Indian. Now, I'm an upland game guy and have also been helping out as a guide for pheasant, but I'm wanting to show these guys that each bird has its range and they need to pay attention to that. The two Model 12's I have are: a 1923 nickel steel 2 1/2" modified choke which probably shouldn't be exposed to steel shot or any other non-toxic load. I also have a 1947 modified that might work, but I'm not so sure. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Regards,
Mike

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:33 pm  Reply with quote

I've been considering getting back into waterfowl hunting, but since neither my wife nor I care much for duck, I'd be focusing on geese. any shotgun that I'd be using is not designed for hard shot such as steel or hevi-shot, but I consider them safe for use with the softer non-tox shot such as TM, Nice & Classic Double. You'd be well armed with either of those M12s and soft non-tox shot as listed.
A5Mag12
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:20 am  Reply with quote

You can shoot Tungsten Matrix in any nitro proofed shotgun. Winchester said at the time of the steel shot mandate that no nickel steel barrel guns were steel shot safe but that Winchester Proof Steel barrels choked no tighter than mod were ok for steel. NICE shot, Classic Doubles and bismuth are also safe in either of the guns mentioned.
Mod 97
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

Do you really think a guest of a high fallutin' duck club in the sacramento valley is going to prove a point to the members? You admitted you aren't even a duck hunter. Rolling Eyes

Be a good guest, say thank you, and if you dont enjoy your time there, don't return.

Good luck, Chief, you show em how big your arrow is!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

I don't like watching crippled birds of any species fly or swim away to die somewhere needlessly. I'm simply looking for a way to enjoy duck hunting -- when invited -- and be able to use my classic shotguns. The members of the duck club enjoy my company -- even if you don't -- which is why they invite me back. I've only posted a limited number of times on this forum and I may limit my questions if this is the way you treat new members.

Skydancer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the informative posts about the original topic. I'll look into the non-steel, non-toxic alternatives.
Regards,
Mike

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:10 pm  Reply with quote

My dad was a member of a hunting club that owned a goodly amount of Grizzly Island, NE Bay Area. this was when lead was legal and most of the ducks he shot were with Browning A5s, 12 & 16 ga; 1 1/4 & 1 1/8 oz loads. Most ducks were dead when they hit the water and those that weren't soon succumbed to the retrievers. Factory loads of soft Non-Tox shot are similar enough to those old standard loads that there shouldn't be a problem with wounded animals.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:34 am  Reply with quote

if you had some nice/bizz , I'd reload a 7/8 oz load in the short shells and have at it . Good for < 40yds .

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:29 am  Reply with quote

The 1947 M12 with the modified choke should be fine. M12 collectors will cringe, but it should be fine. What else are you using it for anyway? If it's a 12 it's too heavy for upland.
Skydancer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:25 am  Reply with quote

Actually, my Model 12 16gauges are quite comfortable for upland hunting. I think I'll look at reloading Niceshot. I may try using steel in the 1947 if I can get some in 2 3/4". Most of the ammo that's given to me at the duck club is 3" steel for the Benelli semi-autos.
Thanks.

Last edited by Skydancer on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:26 am  Reply with quote

Skydancer wrote:
I don't like watching crippled birds of any species fly or swim away to die somewhere needlessly. I'm simply looking for a way to enjoy duck hunting -- when invited -- and be able to use my classic shotguns. The members of the duck club enjoy my company -- even if you don't -- which is why they invite me back. I've only posted a limited number of times on this forum and I may limit my questions if this is the way you treat new members.

Don't worry about one man's reply to your post. It's just water off a duck's back if you don't worry about it.

Use TM, Bismuth, or try RST's nice shot and you should do just fine, Glad to have you here, ignore negative replies and post whenever you like.

Everyone has something to contribute. Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Skydancer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Dale,
Yeah, I thought about that post overnight and come to the conclusion that it may have been the exception to the rule here. I've been mostly reading the forum for several months now and have found most of the folks to be helpful and courteous.
In any event, I've got plenty of new Cheddite shells in both 2 1/2" and 2 3/4" and almost enough powder to load some Niceshot if I can get them in 4 or 5 shot.
Thanks,
Mike

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

M12 sixteens are fine upland guns, as they were built on 20-frames. M12s in twelve gauge are fine guns as well, but like many American 12s, they're pretty heavy for most upland use. They do make fine waterfowl guns, and if choked no tighter than modified, they can be used with modern steel shells. Early steel shells had ineffective shot-cups that largely failed to protect barrel steels from the ejecta. Modem stuff (in 2 3/4-inch, of course) seems to work just fine.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

My local Cabelas carries 12ga steel loads in 2 3/4 - Winchesters, I think - so if you're comfortable running steel through your gun, there are shells out there.
Alternatively, RST makes excellent rounds and you can't go wrong with them.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot 1 oz. loads of bismuth no. 6 in my model twelve 2.75". Plenty of load for a killing range; not so much for sky busting. Welcome to the forum, visit often, and contribute when time allows.

Reno