16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New Remington Game Loads Made By Federal
Square Load
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 6:16 am  Reply with quote

A couple weeks ago I bought a flat of Remington Game Loads 16ga 1oz 7 1/2 at a decent price (for today). They were in a new shell box instead of the one Remington has used for the past aprox. 18 years. Everything on the shell box said Remington and made in USA. The flat box had a big self adhesive Remington sticker on the ends and sides but printed on the box itself at the bottom in small print on each side was Federal Cartridge Company Anoka MN. Since Remington and Federal are both under the Vista Outdoors umbrella I wasn't totally suprised but figured the ammo was made to Remingtons specs.

The big suprise was when I shot some yesterday! These new Remington game loads are Federal game loads with black plastic and Remington's name on the headstamp and printing on the hull. They are exactly the same length, outside and inside diameter, hull thickness, have Federal primers, and have the Federal paper basewad. They also recoil like the Federal game load even though the box still says 1200 fps. I could hardly feel much more recoil than my 7/8oz reloads. They also have the 2 piece Federal wad and purple shotcup.

I inserted a Claybuster wad into the new Rem hull and a Fed hull and they both have a REAL loose fit. I wonder what Claybuster will do since the last Win CF hull was made 25 years ago and now the Rem Game Loads are Federals and their wads are too small in diameter for any currently produced 16ga hulls. The only possible hull left would be the The Remington Express and I bet there is very few of them being reloaded. Maybe Federal will be making them too?

Just letting everyone know. If you liked reloading the Rem hull you better buy all you can in the old box where you can find them because they they have just become history.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
putz463
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:26 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up, again, the only constant is change...

So the SP16 will probably go extinct as well. Good point about the CB stuff, hope they modify it to fit the larger ID's of currently available hulls. It seems to me that it will be the only aftermarket 16ga wad that fully protects a "heavy" shot column besides the steel/non-tox wads.

ole_270
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 10:43 am  Reply with quote

Wish I'd known that earlier, just bought a few boxes because I have a small supply of both Rem SP-16 and the CB wads. With the predominance of ball powder these days I'd better stock up on tyvek discs and or nitro cards to seal off the powder leakage.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

No problem, at least for me. Gualandi and B & P wads work really well in the Federal hulls.....and the hulls will reload more than twice.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

I wonder if there will be a change in Remington 209 primers.
probie
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 5:00 am  Reply with quote

Mark... exactly what I was thinking. But, different wads, now all data would be different, right? Hopefully, not by much, but numbers should change.
Square Load
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 5:46 am  Reply with quote

I would think a person would be able to use reloading data for Federal hulls since that is what they are.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
putz463
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 2:53 am  Reply with quote

Square Load wrote:
I would think a person would be able to use reloading data for Federal hulls since that is what they are.

If all else equal, including case capacity, can't see why not.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 4:51 am  Reply with quote

Yup, this is simple, Federal hull, disguised as a Remington. All Federal data works. That just made things easier.

John1
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 7:39 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for this info. I went over to RGL’s several years ago because Cheddites would not reliably eject from my 1148 or M12. So are these “new” Remington shells the same length as the old or maybe I missed that?

John
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

John1,

I would bet that they aren't going to be any different than the Federal hulls used in Federal branded products.

Kinda like the HOA hulls are exactly the same as the STS/Nitro hulls.

The 16 ga. Federal hulls measure 2.735"

Square Load
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Held a new Rem hull next to a Fed hull and they are exactly the same length. Measured the inside length of each hull from the end of the hull to the base wad and they are exactly the same. Everything that you can compare on these hulls are exactly the same except for the color, printing on the hull and the headstamp.

Glad I have enough old Rem and Win Cf hulls to use up the 6K CB 7/8oz wads I still have. Shocked

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Citori16
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 9:00 am  Reply with quote

I wish they were purple….

I am intrigued, but I use black hulls for my woodcock, dove & quail loads in my Flues, and I have a bunch of black RGLs plus some Herters.

Can somebody post a pic of the box so we know which are the Fed RGLs?